The first written mention of Uckfield dates from 1220. A fairly prominent town built on the banks of the River Uck, Uckfield was a popular stopping-off point for pilgrims travelling to Chichester or Lewes, and for traders transporting goods from the coast towards London or Canterbury. Uckfield was part of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Manor of South Malling.
Today, there are still a number of buildings in Uckfield that date from the early modern period and earlier, including the Cinque Ports building and the Spread Eagle. One of the oldest buildings in Uckfield is Bridge Cottage, a Wealden Hall House dating from 1436. Today, Bridge Cottage is a heritage centre which retains many original features, and has been restored to match its appearance in around 1600.